Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES)

July 06th, 2018

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES)

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) came into force in England and Wales in April 2018, these standards apply to private rented residential and non-domestic properties.

The aim of the MEES is to encourage landlords and property owners to improve the energy efficiency of their properties by upgrading fabric, installing new boilers and energy efficient lighting etc.

Properties with EPC ratings of E or less will be subject to restriction on the granting and continuation of the existing tenancies .

Domestic Property

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) applies to any privately rented property which are legally required to have Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), these include assured short hold, regulated and domestic agricultural tenancies. From April 2018, landlords will not be able to grant a tenancy to new or existing tenants with an EPC rating of F and G and from 1 April 2020, they’ll not be able to continue letting the property without improvements.

Landlords are not expected to finance the cost of improvements but to use third party resources such as Green Deal and Local authority improvement grants. Exemption can be claimed where they are not able to get the funding/grant to cover the cost of the improvements, or are not able to achieve the minimum EPC rating (E) even after improvements. Any exemption must be registered on the RPS Exemption Register.

Non-Domestic Private Rented Property

Similarly, as above from 1 April 2018, non domestic landlords must not grant new tenancies without the minimum energy efficiency standards. They cannot continue to let the property after 1 April 2023 where property has an EPC rating of below E.

All the improvements to Non-Domestic properties will be funded by landlord or tenant, there is no third-party funding available. Landlords may be able to claim exemption, all exemptions must be registered on the RPS Exemption Register.

We have a team of Qualified Level 3, 4 and 5 Energy Assessors, who can provide assistance with MEES compliance and provide advise on how to achieve MEES compliant building. Please do contact us should you wish to find out more.

Back to News & Knowledge