The Community of St Mary the Virgin (CSMV) is an Anglican religious order based at Wantage in Oxfordshire, England. It was founded in 1848 by the vicar of Wantage, the Reverend William John Butler and is one of the oldest surviving religious communities in the Church of England.
This ambitious scheme sees the remodelling and extension of the 19th century Church of England convent, to provide a new foyer and reception area, together with a new office for CSMV’s bursary staff, office space for the Oxford Diocesan Schools Trust (ODST) and six new bedrooms for visiting friends of the Sisters.
The previous entrance was poorly sited and poses access issues whilst the new entrance combined with the foyer, provides a large and flexible focal point for the building offering a warm welcome to visitors to the Convent.
The mechanical and electrical services design makes use of existing biomass boiler and PV solar panels on the site, to provide energy for the new accommodation areas.
CBG Consultants also undertook a site wide infrastructure upgrade, to provide new power and water distribution across the site, addressing significant legacy maintenance issues as part of the improvement project.