The University Church of St Mary the Virgin, is a Grade 1 listed church dating from the 12th century; a landmark building in the historic heart of central Oxford. It was the founding place for both Oxford University in the 13th Century, and Oxfam in 1942.
CBG were involved in its refurbishment working alongside Caroe Architects in this Heritage Lottery project worth £3.5M. We provided mechanical and electrical services: lighting, power, data, heating and public address.
In addition to the main church spaces, revamped facilities included a full commercial kitchen, café, visitor information/shop area, Sunday school room, and a flexible events space. The project was carefully planned for implementation in phases, allowing the church to remain partially open throughout the works.
The sensitive approach to the restoration was recognised by the Oxford Preservation Trust, who awarded the project a plaque in 2013.